Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cuba - Another Worker's Paradise

Doc, over at Bloodletting has a story to tell about Hollywood's favorite country.

On the worker's paradise;
We deployed in the vicinity of the fenceline. We met the refugees as they approached, and with weapns in hand, denied them entry to the base. They had managed to traverse a kilometer deep minefield covered by towers with machine guns to get to this point. They had left everything they had ever known in order to get out of there. And we stopped them. We had orders. We had our orders, so we followed them. After enough shouting and threatening, the refugees eventualy gave up and headed back. Back into Cuba. While I was sweating my balls off under the hot sun, these refugees made a mistake. They had gotten through the minefield the first time, but they had not followed in their own footsteps going back. While I was thinking to myself how I wish these people would hurry up and go back so that I could head back to someplace with air-conditioning, one of them stepped on a landmine.

That explosion touched my world.

Then, I witnessed the worst thing I ever saw in my life.
I will not tell you what he saw, go read it. Read all of it. It brings tears to my eyes. Danny Glover and his Hollywood buddies can go to Hell.

No comments: