Saturday, July 02, 2005

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard - History

As my faithful readers know, I work for the Electric Boat Corp. at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard converting Trident SSBN's to SSGN's. The Shipyard oozes history, and is a National Historic District. It is an amazing place with many interesting structures and beautiful, large brick buildings housing various shops and industrial capabilities.

I will, from time to time, write about what I see there. For instance, after picking up my morning latté and scone, I sometimes walk to my office through a large metal working building that encloses acres of floor space in which large steel things are manufactured and/or maintained (ship rudders, shafts, etc.). For a simple 'cellist such as myself, this is a fascinating place.

Here is a thoroughly enjoyable read, A History of Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

I walk across the caissons of Dry Docks 1, 2, and 4 several times every day. Less often I cross Dry Docks 3 and 5. They are all impressive, although it is sad to see the USS Mississippi (CGN 40) being cut up for scrap in DD #3.

It is a joy to work there.

No comments: