Thursday, September 06, 2007

An Irreplacable Loss

As both of my loyal readers no doubt already know, Luciano Pavarotti died today. He was a great figure in music for nearly my entire musical life. He was like a mountain that you just know it's there without having to look at it. There are a few great tenors in the world, but none like him.

When he began to sing Neapolitan folk songs and sing in very large venues many music critics complained that he was cheapening opera - tarnishing its artistic purity.

That is idiocy. In Italy opera is a very popular musical form. It does not exist in some lofty inaccessible height, but it exists at the level of the people who love it so.

And we loved him.

Rest in peace, Maestro.


ITALIAN;
Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
Tu pure, o, Principessa,
nella tua fredda stanza,
guardi le stelle
che fremono d'amore
e di speranza.

Ma il mio mistero e chiuso in me,
il nome mio nessun sapra!
No, no, sulla tua bocca lo diro
quando la luce splendera!

Ed il mio bacio sciogliera il silenzio
che ti fa mia!

(Il nome suo nessun sapra!...
e noi dovrem, ahime, morir!)

Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincero!
vincero, vincero!


ENGLISH
None must sleep! None must sleep!
And you, too, Princess,
in your cold room,
gaze at the stars
which tremble with love
and hope!

But my mystery is locked within me,
no-one shall know my name!
No, no, I shall say it as my mouth
meets yours when the dawn is breaking!

And my kiss will break the silence
which makes you mine!

(No-one shall know his name,
and we, alas, shall die!)

Vanish, o night!
Fade, stars!
At dawn I shall win

And this;



HAIL MARY

Hail Mary!
Virgin of heaven,
queen of grace and holy mother,
ever receive a fervent prayer,
do not deny my tortured heart
relief for its distress!
My lost soul lies humbly before you
and at your feet, full of hope,
appeals to you and waits
for you to grant
the peace which you alone can give.
Hail Mary!

No comments: