Friday, March 02, 2007

Room, Board, and Clothing for Life

I have often thought that, here in Washington State where we do not have a death penalty that ever gets used (three out of the four people who have been put to death in Washington since capitol punishment became legal were volunteers), one can get a place to live, food, clothing, recreation facilities, and medical care all for free. If someone cannot find a job and cannot make ends met, why wouldn't they commit a heinous crime?

There is no reason not to commit a heinous crime.

At a lower level, Car thief chooses jail for health benefits.
TACOMA – A Pierce County car thief has decided to stay in jail for the medical benefits.

Melissa Matthews, a 20-year-old woman who has been convicted many times, sits in Pierce County Jail, where she's getting her cancer treatment paid for.

Some see that as a problem with the jail system, others say it demonstrates a problem with our medical system.

"I've been selling drugs since I was 15 years old," said Matthews, who already knows the court system like a seasoned criminal. "I thought it was fun. I was high on meth and I started stealing cars."

Matthews says her parents started her on this path.

"I've been doing meth since I was 12," she said. "My mom gave me my first line of meth at 12 years old."

But if it seems like Matthews never got a break, consider this: On Tuesday she pleaded guilty to her latest crimes: identity theft and possession of a stolen car. She could have gotten out of jail to pursue drug treatment, but she didn't want to because she was diagnosed with cancer.

"If I'm in here in custody, then my procedure at the jail would be paid for," she said.
...
Matthew's story prompted outrage from many KING 5 viewers, among them Karen King, who has since written a letter to Senator Patty Murray.

"I was very angry," said King.

Four months ago, King was diagnosed with a syndrome that restricts her ability to breathe. Because of her illness, she finds herself in a vicious cycle unable to work and unable to afford medication.

"I've never broken the law, I pay my taxes," said King. "I've worked since I was like 13."

A friend had told me, go commit a crime and I'll get all the help I needed. But I'm not going to," added King.

Another person to express outrage was the victim of Matthew's latest crime, a struggling single mother who says the theft of her car brought her to the brink of homelessness.

"She goes and steals my vehicle and gets the royal treatment for being in prison," said Kimberly Wilson, car theft victim.
Liberals love criminals and things are getting out-of-hand here in Washington.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.