Emir Caner, who is now dean of The College at Southwestern in Fort Worth, Texas, is also a former Muslim who converted to Christianity.
Quiz question - What is the penalty in Islam for being a Muslim who converts to Christianity? (Hint: It involves not breathing any more.)
Christian Convert: 10 Things Everyone Needs to Know About Islam
The former Muslim, who was disowned by his father when he converted, pointed out that Islam is the most work-based religion in the world. He explains that even if a Muslim worked hard to do good deeds, he can only "hope" that Allah will like him and allow him to go to paradise when he dies - but there are no guarantees.
"If you are good enough and Allah wants you then you go to paradise," said Caner. "Here is the question - what about all the bad things that happened in your life? You see the Muslims believe that you and I have cheap faith, that somehow we just say 'Jesus is savior' and we go about it in our lives like nothing happened."
"[However], it is only Christianity that understands that every sin must be atoned for...either by the person himself or by Jesus Christ on the cross."
The last point Caner made was many Muslims are coming to Christ and the number one reason why is because of eternal security. He explained that in Islam, even though a person strives to do good and please Allah, there is no guarantee. Also Muslims are attracted by the unconditional love and intimacy with God offered in Christianity.
"Hear me very carefully - the more you have to work for your salvation, the more hopeless you are," said the former Muslim.
Summary of the "10 Things Everyone Needs to Know about Islam":
1. Allah and Jehovah are NOT the same God
2. Jihad, or holy war, is prescribed in the Koran and Hadith
3. There are specific protocols in Islam (e.g. women are not to go to Jihad)
4. Islam does not believe in religious freedom
5. Islam has a lower view of woman than Christianity
6. Islam has a low view of Jesus
7. Islam has a low view of the Bible
8. Islam is the most work-based religion in the world
9. Islam is divided among denominations
10. Many Muslims are coming to faith in Christ